Monday, January 4, 2010

Monday Meals - Split Pea and Sausage Soup




I already posted about split pea and sausage soup, but did not rate the recipe or figure out the overall price and price per meal. 

Ingredients:

1 pound dried split peas
10 cups water
1 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
5 cubes chicken bouillon
1 bag of baby carrots
1 stalk of celery
1/2 bag frozen diced onions
4 potatoes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves

Directions:
In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic powder, oregano, bay leaves, and onion.
Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before ladling into bowls.
I'll let you know how it turned out next post.

The split pea and sausage soup came out great! I let it cook 4 hours on high and then 3 more hours on low. It was so good. The potatoes were so soft, the broth so yummy, the sausage perfect.

Meal preparation: ………………...... 5 stars It was very easy to prepare, just plop all the ingredients in and turn on the slow cooker

Baking/Cooking: …………………... 5 stars While the ingredients are cooking, you are free to do what you want!

Versatility: ………………………..... 5 stars I think you can add other veggies or meats if you choose

Amount of time to make meal:…….... 5 stars No time at all to make meal

Total price of meal:……………….... 5 stars A money saving meal.

split peas - $0.79, water - N/A, smoked sausage - $2.00, chicken bouillon - $ 3.00, carrots - $1.25, celery - $1.99, onions - $1.00, potatoes - 1.56, garlic powder - N/A, orgeano - N/A, bay leaves - $3.70 

All together the meal was $15.29. We got 6 dinners out of the meal, so that is $2.55 a meal! And that was without any coupons.

Total Rating:……..……………....  5 stars








1 comment:

Mama M. said...

I love your post...totally made me giggle a little...I've gotta food blog post comin' up that mentions split pea soup!! :)