Update is at end of post.
Its so hard being alone at night with Anthony and Balboa. I mean, I can do it, I am doing it, but it is tough. I would love to start cooking meals at night again. But since I can't I decided to use the slow cooker at night, and scoop into containers in the morning. This way I CAN eat healthy and have time to cook.
My plan......well I found a site sample menu that allows you to plan 5 meals, it takes time to set up the meal plan. But, having it up on the clipboard in the kitchen allows me to not use the ingredients for other items and stick to the meal plan.
I use all recipes to get great slow cooker recipes and then use peapod to buy and deliver my groceries. So, this morning (since it is a Sunday) I decided to start with Split pea and Sausage soup. I changed the recipe a little, but it looks really good cooking in the slowcooker right now.
I bouhgt a bunch of plastic containers to store the food, but have glass bowls to heat the food up in at both work and home.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Sausage Soup
1 pound dried split peas
10 cups water
1 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
5 cubes chicken bouillon
2 bags frozen stew vegetables
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the peas, water, sausage, bouillon, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic powder, oregano, bay leaves, and onion.
Cover, and cook on High for 4 to 5 hours. Remove bay leaves before ladling into bowls.
I'll let you know how it turned out next post.
UPDATE!!!!
The split pea and sausage soup came out great! I let it cook 4 hours on high and then 3 more hours on low. It was so good. The potatoes were so soft, the broth so yummy, the sausage perfect. Man, I am so proud of myself.
I let it cool and put it into containers and labeled them with the date. Now I am working on the meatballs with buttered noodles.


1 comment:
Meal plans work well for me also. Good for you for doing this.
Post a Comment